History of Hunsbury Hill Farmstead

The Hunsbury Hill Centre is a Grade II listed building and is a fine example of a model farm, built around 1770, including a large farmhouse, barns, animal sheds and 'hovels' set around an octagonal yard.

The farm stands on what was, from at least 1220 if not earlier, one of the medieval common fields of Hardingstone Parish.  The farmhouse and buildings were orignally built by Edward Bouverie of Delapre, one of three farms he built in the area to supply Delapre Abbey. 

Edward Bouverie purchased Delapre Abbey and the manor of Hardingstone in 1764 and shortly after this he enclosed the open fields there.  He was one of the pioneers in the early enclosure movement in Northamptonshire. Agriculture had to change to meet the needs of a growing population and much of the open field parishes were being enclosed, mainly for pastoral farming.  To 'annouce' his arrival but also to benefit from the advantages of enclosure.  Edward Bouverie built a very impressive model farm on Hunsbury Hill. 


Timeline of the farms owners and tenants

Today the site is owned by NACRE. We are looking to conserve the site yet develop it to reflect the work that it does today. Keep an eye out for updates on the Hunsbury Hill Farmstead project on this website.